If All Arkansas Read the Same Book
Created in 2001, If All Arkansas Read the Same Book is an annual, statewide reading program designed to encourage the enjoyment of reading and to promote book discussion in libraries of all types across Arkansas. Events for the project typically culminate in an author tour.
2020 If All Arkansas Read the Same Book Selection
The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
Bestselling author Kim Michele Richardson’s novel, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek (Sourcebooks Landmark, 2019), has been selected for the 2020 If All Arkansas Read the Same Book community-read project. The novel’s background is the WPA Packhorse Library initiative in Kentucky during the Great Depression, and the book has been popular since its publication with book club readers around the state and country.
The author will be speaking at the Hempstead County Library (Hope) and the South Arkansas Community College Library (El Dorado) on July 17, 2020, and at the Cabot Public Library and the CALS Ron Robinson Theater (Little Rock) on July 18, 2020. More details will be forthcoming closer to the events.
Previously Featured Selections:
- 2019 author/book: Delia Owens and Where the Crawdads Sing
- 2018 author/book: Lisa Wingate and Before We Were Yours
- 2016 author book: Cassie Dandridge Selleck and The Pecan Man
- 2015 author book: Jenny Wingfield and The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
- 2014 author book: Daniel Black and Perfect Peace
- 2013 author/book: Vivienne Schiffer and Camp Nine
- 2012 author/book: Laura Castoro and Icing on the Cake
- 2011 author/book: non-active year
- 2010 author/book: Charlaine Harris and her Sookie Stackhouse series
- 2010 was the tenth anniversary of the Arkansas Center for the Book, and was celebrated by reading "10 books in 10 months"--the 10 Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris.
- 2009 author/book: Petrus Lai Nguyen and Derlyne Gibson and A Long, Hard Road to Freedom
- 2008 author/book: non-active year
- 2007 author/book: Kevin Brockmeier and A Brief History of the Dead
- 2006 author/book: F. Scott Fitzgerald and The Great Gatsby (in conjunction with The Big Read); Shirley Abbott and The Bookmaker's Daughter
- 2005 author/book: Jeff Shaara and Gods and Generals
- 2004 author/book: Sandra Cisneros and The House on Mango Street; Jennifer Paddock and A Secret Word
- 2003 author/book: Rick Bragg and All Over But the Shoutin'; Sidney McMath and Promises Kept
- 2002 author/book: Douglas Kelley and The Captain's Wife
- 2001 author/book: Terry Kay and To Dance with the White Dog